Monday, April 4, 2011

The 1st Night in Gurje


The temperature plunge dramatically after the sunset, we are hurrying up to get our dal bhat ready before we run out of the last ray. Unfortunately, with only two stoves and the tame fire, 21 of us have to eat in the dark although it is just 7pm.

After the dal bhat, we lit a bon fire in the tiny little compound next to the house. We gather around to keep ourselves warm. One of the boy manage to find a guitar in the store room, where the middle string gone. Yet, the boys still manage to come out with songs.

Looking up to the dark sky, there are countless stars smiling back. One of the volunteers Nainh, trys explaining to me about the astrology. She told me about The Plough, where it looks like a trolley. The Orion, where the leg and hands are form in a square follow by the belt and knife located right in the middle of the square. Right between the Orion’s hands, it lays the Seven Sisters, form in a circle in a less vivid condition.

It is very interesting as I always want to learn about the astrology since I arrived Nepal. Not sure because of I am now closer to the sky in Nepal ( the higher altitude compare to Malaysia) or we are constantly live in the dark due to the load shading? The sky in Nepal seems to be darker and clearer for the stars. Therefore, looking up for the stars has becoming a new hobby of me.

The bon fire night ended with endless laughter and songs. The 3 ladies heading toward the health post for their first night in Gurje.  ( Health Post is a local Clinic, which join sponsor by UF and we can make use of one of the room if there are not enough space in the UF base camp) where the boys stay in the UF Base camp.

Putting on whatever cloths I have, I tuck myself into sleeping bag and embrace myself with the cold but peaceful night with the clock showing only 8.30pm.

No comments: